What does a white lump in the throat indicate?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello I am 32 female smoke for a long time quit last week but woke up with a sore throat a few days ago and noticed a lump in the back of the throat with a white spot on it. It is deep down and when I touched it with a q tip it was very painful. The sore throat is gone but the lump with white is still there. I have an appointment with an ent but they cannot see me for a month. I am not sure if this is urgent. Can anyone tell me what it is? I usually get crap stuck in my tonsils on that side so I thought it was just that when my throat was sore but then I found this. I am terrified it is cancer since I smoke since I was 18. I have pictures but not sure how to post them

I uploaded pictures
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Ulcerative lesion right tonsil

Detailed Answer:

There is an ulcerative lesion on the posterior border of tonsil lower down. From the appearance, it doesn't seem to be malignancy at all.

You have enlarged tonsils I.e. you have tonsillitis and such lesion are common in that.

My advice is you should take an antibiotic like Cefixime 200 twice daily and use hexidine gargles. Take tablet vitamin c once daily. Avoid any spicy food and aerated drinks. Avoid tobacco.

The lesion must be followed up after 5 days. It is always better to get examined yourself by an Ent specialist but as you don't have any recent availability, you can resend me the pictures after 5 days.

All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 47 minutes later
Are you going to send me a prescription for it?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 days later
Brief Answer:

Ulcerative lesion right tonsil

Detailed Answer:

Vitamin c and hexidine gargles are available withiut prescription.
I can just advise you drugs online. You need to contact a medical practitioner for a prescription for the rest of medicines.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad