question-icon

What does a sore and inflamed boil below the jawline indicate?

Posted on Mon, 19 May 2014
Question: Hi, I have a sore boil like spot just below my belt line, sore and inflamed. I suspect it is a result of my belt pressing there but this is probably the 3rd time this has happened in the last few years. Very painful. I have been using a hot compress to try to pull out the infection. Any idea what this is and why it would happen? I know I need to lose weight but could there be an underlying problem?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Furuncle

Detailed Answer:
You might have developed furuncle.
These are deep bacterial infections.
Treatment is with antibiotics but the choice of antibiotics should be based on culture and sensitivity tests.
Improper use of antibiotics may lead to resistance and recurrence.
Can you please upload a photograph of the affected area.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and a better line of management.
There is an option to upload photos on right side of query page.
Please utilize it.
Let me know if you have any other doubt.
Wishing you a good health.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist