What does a mole with flat and raised middle indicate?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello i got this mole a little over a year ago. I kindo of appear and grew to the size it is now then stopped. Its round and one color. The edges are flat and slight raised in thr middle. Its located in my outter thigh. Its about half the size of a dime. Has not changed in over 6 months
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The mole is a benign tumor. Most of moles wont ever turn into melanoma malignum. However some can become malignant (the risk of it is only few percents). That is why every person should observe moles and have them checked by a dermatologist once a year.
Only suspicious moles should be removed and tested by a histopathologist. Other, not suspicious should not be removed and observed.
The best way to determine if the mole is suspicious or not, is to check it under dermatoscope. Its a kind of magnifying tool which allows dermatologist to choose suspicious moles.
That is why I suggest you to visit dermatologist and have it checked. Otherwise it is hard to tell basing only on the attached photo.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.