What do my BP levels indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have no kidneys and during dialysis my blood pressure rises to 190/100. Otherwise it's 155/85.
Both out of control. Any ideas? Currently taking 6.25mg carvedilol, 100mg losartan, and 10mg amlodipine.
Not working.--Gary
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your actual blood pressure values are above the normal ranges. This means that your actual therapy is not really effective in controlling your blood pressure values.

Considering the fact that you are performing dialysis, I assume that your kidney function is really low.

Coming to this point, I would recommend making some changes to your actual therapy.

First I would recommend stopping losartan, as it may increase potassium levels, considering your low renal function.

Instead of losartan, I would recommend taking a central action antihypertensive drug like methyldopa or moxonidine.

These drugs are more effective in controlling arterial hypertension, compared to losartan and do not increase potassium levels.

You should discuss with your attending physician on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri