What do itchy eyes, persistent cough and sore throat indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Eye are itchy have small cough and throat is sore with running nose. have cold sore in my nose

Also have been sneezing a lot
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Rest, fluids, anti histamine/decongestants

Detailed Answer:

A sore throat, cough and runny nose imply that you have a cold or flu.

The flu is less likely since it tends to be associated with persistent fever, joint and muscle pain, lethargy and generally feeling very very unwell.

These symptoms can also occur in persons with allergic sinusitis (allergies of the sinuses) and rhinitis (involving the nose).

Sneezing can be due to the cold or allergies whereas eye itching is more common with allergies.

A cold sore can occur in persons with a history of previous cold sores because the immune system is impaired due to the infection.

Sneezing and runny nose can also irritate the lining of the nose can cause a sore to occur as well.

Basically, treatment of allergic sinusitis/rhinitis and the cold is similar-- (1) rest and fluids

(2)antihistamine/decongestant combination even if the nose is not too blocked eg Zyrtec D, Allegra D, Claritin D, Benadryl D.
The antihistamine part will also help the itching eyes.

(3)a topical decongestant such as normal saline or Otrivin may also help as well.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician