What do high fever, and blood report of a child showing elevated neutrophil and CRP indicate?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 5.5 year old son Aarush is very sick. It started from 2nd Feb, friday evening. He has these symtoms - high fever (every 4-6 hours, upto 102F), running nose, nasal congestion.

He was given the following medicines from friday:

1) Azee-200 (3 day course, finished on sunday)
2) Ascoril (6ml, 2 times a day)
3) levolin / nebulization (0.63mg, 2 times a day)

Today morning, We showed to another doctor since he was still running high fever.
Below are the medicines he prescribed:

SBP, CRP, MP, CUE
Nasoclear
Relent (5ml twice a day x 5 days)
Clampkid forte (6ml twice a day x 5 days)
levolin 1.2mg (5ml twice a day x 5 days)
Lanzol Dt 15mg x 5 days

Attached prescription and reports received this evening. Based on the reports, if the fever persists even till tomorrow morning 6 AM, Doctor has advised for admission.

Is the admission necessary?
We value your diagnosis and advice very much. Please advise how we go about this?

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get admitted if symptoms persist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the detailed history, prescription and investigation.
Most common cause of fever with cough and cold in this age is some viral infection. In most of the viral infections fever and other symptoms start improving after 72-96 hours.
As per protocol investigation should be done to rule out bacterial infection if high grade fever persists after 72 hours. The same was done for your child and the blood report is showing neutrophilic predominance with high CRP(both are suggestive of bacterial infection).
Clamp kid contains Amoxycillin and clavuunate which is good for bacterial respiratory infection. Other concern is that he is vomiting also. The doctor has advised medications for vomiting and hopefully it should improve with same.
I would suggest you to observe the child for 24 hours(after first dose of antibiotic clamp kid) and if fever remains same or get worsened, if there is breathing difficulty, poor feeding, frequent vomiting or if child is getting lethargic better get him admitted for treatment under close observation.

I hope this helps.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar