question-icon

What do elevated creatinine levels indicate?

Posted on Sat, 13 Oct 2018
Question: Hi,
I have had elevated creatinine levels for about 4 years now (about 1.1), but normal BUN. I have been on Lithium (moderate dose) for 2 years. My thyroid function has gotten worse since starting Li, but TSH is still in normal range. I saw a nephrologist 2 years ago before I started Li and he thought the creatinine levels would normalize, but they haven't, but they haven't risen either. I am otherwise healthy, BMI 21.5, exercise about 5-6/week, running and heavy weights 2x. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (25 hours later)
Brief Answer:
I strongly recommend you discontinue lithium!

Detailed Answer:

Lithium is toxic to the kidneys and thyroid gland and this is well documented. I didn't encourage anyone using this drug in a patient with these organs already being affected. The glaring prove is that your thyroid tests have gotten worse and that justifies this drug to be discontinued unless someone clearly states that there are no alternatives.

In all, get off lithium and get substitute to treat your disease condition.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ivo Ditah,
Dr. Ivo Ditah