What do bleeding and flatulence during a bowel movement indicate?

Excellent

Question
I am 88, diagnosed with prostate cancer, 2010, took Lupron for a year and 42 doses of IMRT. Since then my PSA has been between .2 and .3, so in remission I presume. Two or three times in the past year, I experienced a lengthy bout of intestinal gas, for several minutes, ending in much gas, heavy traces of red blood, no fecal material, but some bloody particles. A normal BM occasionally shows a trace but sometimes not. Is the gas causing the bleeding or is the bleeding source causing the gas? What is going on? XXXXXXX
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you get a colonoscopy done!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. Gas will not cause blood and blood will not cause gas either. These are more of coincidental symptoms and not one causing the other.

Given your age and past history, I will recommend a rectal exam and a colonoscopy. A small wound around the anal area or growths in the colon might explain what you are experiencing. These exams will shed more light on this. It is unlikely that they are caused by your prostate.

The best physician to see is a gastroenterologist. I will recommend you talk to your primary care and get this referral for appropriate evaluation and care.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be and do keep me updated with your efforts.

Follow-up: What do bleeding and flatulence during a bowel movement indicate? 11 hours later
I had a colonoscopy several years ago, maybe six. Everything was normal, no polyps. Should I have another one? The situation is unique in that I have never had an occurrence like the one I described, except a couple of times this year. I otherwise as noted seldom have any blood traces in my stool. And just recently another normal BM. Are there any other reasons for the strange occurrence of gas and blood traces other than trouble in the colon? XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dietary changes!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this follow up question.

Dietary changes and change in bowel habits could be responsible for this. However, we must eliminate the most worrisome possible causes. I will strongly recommend that you get another colonoscopy at this time.

I hope this guides and helps. Let me know what your ultimate actions are.