What could cause persistent sharp stabbing pain below my right breast while breathing?
It may be pleuritic pain.
Based on your description, the pain may be pleuritic pain.
There is a lining outside the lung called the pleura. If this becomes inflamed or irritated, there can be pain upon taking a breath because this expands the lung slightly and causes it to touch the inflamed pleura.
It would be best to consider revisiting your doctor to determine if this is the cause of your pain.
There are different possible causes, in many cases, it is not due to a serious cause but these need to be ruled out.
Common causes include:
(1)infection either a viral or bacterial infection (2)due to exposure to some medications (3)can occur in persons with inflammatory bowel disease (4)rarely cancer
(5)some persons with autoimmune diseases such as RA or lupus
You can use an anti-inflammatory at the moment to help deal with the pain but as mentioned, it should be seen to determine the exact cause. Eg Naproxen, Voltaren, Cataflam, Ibuprofen or Celebrex. One of these can be used to reduce the inflammation of the pleura and help with pain relief.
I hope this helps; feel free to ask any other question.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause stabbing pain in the lower head
- Stabbing pains while breathing with bronchitis
- What causes sharp stabbing pain just below ball of ankle
- Sharp stabbing pain in chest and difficulty breathing
- What could be the stabbing pain in stomach
- What causes stabbing pain in vaagina
- Sharp stabbing pain when breathing in
- Sharp stabbing pain right side
- Sharp stabbing pain in breast
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder