What could cause persistent sharp stabbing pain below my right breast while breathing?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a sharp stabbing pain just below my right breast that started in the middle of the back in the right side gradually moved to the front and stayed there just below my right breast. Went to urgent care they saw nothing on the xray. Gave me a shot of toradol and steroid sent me on my way. The pain is excruciating when i breathe or take a deep breath. Please help me this has been going on for 2 weeks+
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may be pleuritic pain.

Detailed Answer:

Based on your description, the pain may be pleuritic pain.

There is a lining outside the lung called the pleura. If this becomes inflamed or irritated, there can be pain upon taking a breath because this expands the lung slightly and causes it to touch the inflamed pleura.

It would be best to consider revisiting your doctor to determine if this is the cause of your pain.

There are different possible causes, in many cases, it is not due to a serious cause but these need to be ruled out.

Common causes include:
(1)infection either a viral or bacterial infection (2)due to exposure to some medications (3)can occur in persons with inflammatory bowel disease (4)rarely cancer
(5)some persons with autoimmune diseases such as RA or lupus

You can use an anti-inflammatory at the moment to help deal with the pain but as mentioned, it should be seen to determine the exact cause. Eg Naproxen, Voltaren, Cataflam, Ibuprofen or Celebrex. One of these can be used to reduce the inflammation of the pleura and help with pain relief.

I hope this helps; feel free to ask any other question.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thank you so much, that's exactly what I thought it was! I will go back and have further tests done
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No problem.

Detailed Answer:

I really hope that you feel better soon.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James