What could cause a sharp stabbing pain in the lower back above the waist?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was perfectly fine all morning and then I started having lower back pain about around the afternoon out of nowhere. it's a sharp stabbing pains in my lower back right above my waist. I have problems getting up and walking but i can stand and lay down without much pain at all. i can bend left, right, and backwards no problem but i cant bend forward without sharp stabbing pains. whats wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Can be lumbar muscle strain.

Detailed Answer:

The pain of the lower side of your back can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
3. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
4. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain.
5. Vitamin D3 deficiency.

Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.

The treatment will then depend on the cause. Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal,
Orthopaedic Surgeon