Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

What could be the dent and pain at the back of skull?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
I am 65 years old I have recently noticed a dent in the back if my skull left side, I occasionaly get sharp pain in the area and have to quickly hold it and it goes away, it lasts seconds only then perhaps just aches a bit.Sometimes a can go a few weeks without the pain and other times it can happen once or twice a day
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. A dent in the skull at this age needs to be evaluated by clinical examination and a CT scan of head if necessary. While clinically, by palpating it will be known if there is really a dent or if there is a swelling in the scalp, a CT scan will tell us about the exact probable nature of the problem and if it is a bony lesion or the development of any soft tissue or cyst in the scalp. The sharp pain as mentioned by you might point towards a condition known as trigemminal neuralgia. In this condition, there is a sharp pain often limited to one side of the head and face lasting from seconds to minutes occurring intermittently. A consultation with a neurologist is necessary to discuss both the above problems. There are medications for your condition but you must be evaluated clinically before taking them. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor