What could be causing ringing in the ears?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi my brother gets a sound in his left ear mostly and some times in right ear. the sound stays for 24 hours and its like teeee . he had his ear checked up and the doctor said everything is OK. but the problem has not gone. what is the solution. why does he hear this sound?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs proper evaluation by ENT/neuro-otologist Detailed Answer: Hi, The 'teeee' sound you are saying is known as tinnitus and there are various causes for this. Exact cause is usually not possible to find in most of the cases. Most common are - problem with the auditory nerve or with Eustachian tube function. Auditory nerve problems can be lead to loss of hearing alone or along with tinnitus or tinnitus alone. The problem is an annoying thing for the sufferer but there is usually no finding on examination of ear. An MRI of brain with special reference to Cerebello-pontine angle and 7th & 8th nerve complex is usually asked for to rule out rarer causes like some tumour or vascular anomaly in the region. Other investigations include pure tone audiometry and impedence audiometry. If patient is having sensory neural hearing loss along with tinnitus, and there is no finding on scan, a hearing aid with tinnitus matching helps in supressing the problem. Medical treatment includes B complex, amitriptyline, ginkobiloba, betahistine but none of these is a sure shot treatment. Tinnitus retraining therapy is also an upcoming treatment but all these things need to be evaluated and started after a proper ENT examination, evaluation and under guidance of ENT or a neuro-otologist. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T