Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What could be causing ringing in the ears?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 784 Questions
hi my brother gets a sound in his left ear mostly and some times in right ear. the sound stays for 24 hours and its like teeee . he had his ear checked up and the doctor said everything is OK. but the problem has not gone. what is the solution. why does he hear this sound?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs proper evaluation by ENT/neuro-otologist Detailed Answer: Hi, The 'teeee' sound you are saying is known as tinnitus and there are various causes for this. Exact cause is usually not possible to find in most of the cases. Most common are - problem with the auditory nerve or with Eustachian tube function. Auditory nerve problems can be lead to loss of hearing alone or along with tinnitus or tinnitus alone. The problem is an annoying thing for the sufferer but there is usually no finding on examination of ear. An MRI of brain with special reference to Cerebello-pontine angle and 7th & 8th nerve complex is usually asked for to rule out rarer causes like some tumour or vascular anomaly in the region. Other investigations include pure tone audiometry and impedence audiometry. If patient is having sensory neural hearing loss along with tinnitus, and there is no finding on scan, a hearing aid with tinnitus matching helps in supressing the problem. Medical treatment includes B complex, amitriptyline, ginkobiloba, betahistine but none of these is a sure shot treatment. Tinnitus retraining therapy is also an upcoming treatment but all these things need to be evaluated and started after a proper ENT examination, evaluation and under guidance of ENT or a neuro-otologist. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor