What causes vaginal swelling after intercourse?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: When I had sex my I felt like every thing was swollen
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
frictional abrasions or vaginitis

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query to HCM,
This feeling of everything being swollen during or after sex is often seen in women with concomitant vaginal dryness and who may suffer vaginal abrasions or frictional lesions during the act of intercourse.This often can secondarily lead to vaginal inflammation or vaginitis and gives a feeling of swelling and soreness in vagina.
The treatment remains to avoid sex for 2-3 days and if any infection is present then a vaginal swab culture may be done followed by a short course of antibiotics , depending on the culture results.
However, in the meantime you may use local cold pack application , which should soothe your soreness.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 7 minutes later
I am on blood thinners and vaginal bleeding for the two months. I have not had sex because of this. could this be a problem
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
In that case i feel vaginal dryness and possible local frictional abrasions could be the likely cause in your case. Blood thinners per se have no role in vaginitis. Of course yes, frequency of sex does play a role as it helps keep the vaginal microbia and mucousa healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 days later
how long does tranexamic acid stay in your system
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
The biological terminal half life of tranexamic acid is about 11 hours. The plasma clearance is 110-116mL/min.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana