Owl Image

What causes vaginal spotting during menopause?

Question
50 year old women, no children, has not had period in 2 yrs. she thought she had made it through the change, suddenly she is spotting, should she be alarmed? She has not keep up with yearly checkups, she now has ins.for the first time and she is alone in this world and can not take off from work. Do any obgyn open on saturday? I'm just trying to be a supporting friend and help her fears. Can you give me some guidence information to help ?
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, she should seek medical attention!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you have reported. Bleeding in a menopausal woman is always considered abnormal and needs a thorough investigation to make sure the cause is identified and managed accordingly. Some are concerning and many others are not. The exact management approach depends on the final diagnosis.

There is no point here in putting wok first and health second. Health is first on every list of priorities because only a healthy person can do anything. Putting work before health is totally senseless and can make a small problem that can be easily solved now to carry on and become a big and challenging one in future.

In all, she has reasons to get worried as this is not normal. She needs to get consulted by her OBGYN for evaluation and management. This takes precedence and others are secondary.

I hope this helps. I wish her well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.