What causes vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My wife is carrying (5 weeks and 5 days). She is bleeding to be more precise just 2-3 drops of blood but not exactly in red color, it is almost dark XXXXXXX The doctor adviced to take utrogestan 100mg (oral), folic acid. She started taking this tablet from thursday.
Her age is 37 and this is our first baby. Please advice whether her bleeding is normal. after taking this tablet will it still continue. Doctor says she can find bleeding around fetus. and ask to wait for 2 weeks. she did showed the heart beat sound also in ultrasound scan.
Is our baby will be fine or do you any chance of miscarriage.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If the heart beat of the baby is seen on the ultrasound scan, then it is good news.
Was it a natural pregnancy, or was any treatment used ?
Bleeding even a few drops of blood is not a good sign, there is always a chance of miscarriage.
So only a repeat ultrasound scan after 2 weeks will tell you if the baby is going to be alright.
Right now she needs to take maximum precautions to minimize the risk of miscarriage.
Avoid intercourse.
Avoid stress or emotional turmoil of any kind.
Do not travel much.
Take bedrest as much as possible.
Eat simple home cooked foods.
Think positive, pray and meditate.
Take the medication as advised.
The tablets prescribed will help in preventing a miscarriage, but there is no guarantee.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN