What causes swelling on the feet and redness in the toes while hanging the feet when diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on 3 days ago in Veins and Arteries
Question: After taking chemo 3 years ago my periferial neuropathy has worsened and just recently when my feet hang down for even a short length of time my feet swell on top and become uncomfortable and my toes become red. My feet are always purple on the bottom and I have varicose veins. I take 600 mg of gabapentin a day. Why are my feet now turning red and swelling on top as well as the bottom.?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stenosis is the cause

Detailed Answer:

You yourself have mentioned the cause for the colour changes and swelling in your feet and that is - Stenosis of the distal SFA or popliteal arteries bilaterally with monophasic flow distally on both left and right.

Visit your treating physician and check whether any intervention seems possible in order to relieve the stenosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng