What causes swelling on neck and face with fever and pain after dental surgeries?

ENT Specialist
Question
We need a specialist who can treat my daughter after several oral surgeries.
She continues to swell and run fever with pain in her lower jaw and swelling in her neck and face. All antibiotics help slightly , then the swelling and pain returns. This has gone on for over a year. She lives in gallatin tn.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of any retained foreign body...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood the problem.

The frequent swelling, fever and pain following repeated oral surgeries, could be due to some retained foreign body in any one of the places in the jaw socket. This is evidenced by regression of the symptoms after administering antibiotics.

My sincere advise to you, is to request your oral surgeon to have a thorough look into the operated area. Removal of the foreign material or an infective foci can reduce the problems. Perhaps you can discuss about this concern with her previous oral surgeons before visiting a new one.

Hope this answer was beneficial. I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon