What causes swelling in the feet and ankles?
causes are many
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the swollen feet and ankles.
The causes of swollen ankles and feet could be due to local or systemic conditions.
1. The most common local conditions that cause edema are varicose veins and thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the veins) of the deep veins of the legs.
Long airplane flights or car rides, as well as standing for long periods of time
Being overweight, infection of the feet and ankles.
2. The most common systemic diseases associated with edema involve the heart, liver, and kidneys like congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver and kidney diseases.
In these diseases, edema occurs primarily because of the body's retention of too much salt (sodium chloride). The excess salt causes the body to retain water. This water then leaks into the interstitial tissue spaces, where it appears as edema.
Following medications may also cause the swollen feet and ankles:
Blood pressure medicines, called calcium channel blockers (Nifedipine, Amlodipine)
Antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors (such as phenelzine and tranylcypromine) and tricyclics (such as nortriptyline, desipramine, and amitriptyline)
Hormones, such as estrogen in birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy(in females) and testosterone
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a very good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes swollen ankles and feet
- Feet swelling causes and cures
- What causes swelling and numbness in feet
- Does oxycodone cause swelling of the feet and ankles
- What causes bladder leakage and swelling in ankles and feet
- What causes pain and swelling on feet
- What causes swelling and purple discoloration on feet
- What causes swelling in the feet after an abortion
- Swelling feet causes
- What causes swelling and discoloration in feet