What causes stool to be yellow?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have a liver question... I recently had an ultrasound at a walk in clinic for stomach pain that turned out to be me being lactose intolerant.... but it did find that i have a slightly enlarged liver from a fatty liver... Now i have notived my bowel movements are an irregular colour, bright yellow. Should I go see my family doctor?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
HI and welcome. I don't think this is an urgent condition but you should check your liver markers more often in future. If this is just bright yellow then this may just be sign of certain diet. But if this is pale then this is possible sign of liver disorder and you should check liver enzymes in this case. Of course, considering that you have fatty liver you should avoid alcohol and have easier diet in future. Wish you good health. Regards