What causes stomach pain after a colostomy?
stoma functioning well there is no cause for conce
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
If the stoma is functioning well and there is no distension of abdomen then there seems to be no cause for concern.
It would be helpful if you could provide me additional information
1. Where is the location of pain
2. Is there any nausea or vomiting
3. Is there distension of abdomen
4. Any redness in area around stoma?
Awaiting your response
1-The pain- is in the stoma area and the stoma itself
2- nausea yes, have a bucket by my bed just incase I vomit
3-yes, distension of abdomen around stoma on the right side of body
4-Not that I can tell with the bag there.
Possibly due to stoma dysfunction
From the history of distension in peri stoma site associated with nausea possibility of stoma dysfunction is to be considered. It is likely to be due to subacute intestinal obstruction.
I would suggest you the following
1. Antispasmodic like Drotavarine
2. Soft diet
3. Check the colostomy bag : Apply fresh bag and check whether fresh stools are coming
In case there is persistent vomiting, distension of abdomen increase would suggest you to seek opinion of your physician.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of stomach pain after abortions
- What causes stomach pain after having a fall
- What is the cause for constant stomach pain after delivery
- What causes stomach pain after eating food
- Sharp stomach pain with a colostomy
- What causes stomach pains before and after meals
- What causes stomach pain after consuming beef
- What causes stomach pains and diarrhea after eating
- What causes vomiting and stomach pain after eating
- What causes stomach pain after skipping period
- CT scan showed wide spread cancer. Having mass in esophagus. Should...
- Had salmonella and having symptoms of nausea and light headedness. Have...
- Red crystallized object in stool. Pain in left rib cage and blood in...
- Bruise on left buttock, soreness in left elbow and shortness of breath...
- On thyroid medication. Should I take the medicines life long?
- How long does it take to show symptoms of HVP?
- Having red lines on hand. What do you suggest?
- Have dark spots on the head of penis. Was treated with cortisone cream....
- White spots on legs. What could be this?
- Have swollen hives on hip. Took clartin. have done allergy blood work