What causes stomach bloating?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i am 50 year old woman very petite body frame, and my stomach is so bloated at times i look pregnant what could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

I can understand your concern about your physical symptoms. Without a physical examination, it is impossible to definitively determine what is causing the extreme distention. However, some conditions to take into consideration include factors causing excessive gas formation in the GI tract, either in the stomach or intestines. Your physician may decide that placing a small scope in the gastrointestinal tract (endoscopy) might be helpful. Also, other organ systems within the abdomen and pelvis may cause symptoms that result in distention. It will be important to follow up with a physician in person to evaluate the nature of your symptoms. Adjunct testing such as imaging studies may be considered at the discretion of your physician after their assessment.

In summary, the differential diagnosis is very broad and the cause of the bloating should be further evaluated in person by a physician, possibly with adjunct imaging studies or endoscopy procedures.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar