Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

What causes stabbing pain below the sternum?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9448 Questions
I’m having severe stabbing pain intermittently in my epigastric area about 1-2 inches below my sternum. Could this be serious? It’s every 15-20 minutes.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
gastric issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
In this age, this type of pain is usually related to gastriti, GERD or hiatal hernia. Less common this can be sign of cholecystitis or pancreatitis especially if this is associated with nausea, vomit or fever. Otherwise, you should take antiacid medications such as ranitidine 150mg or pantoprasole 40mg. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food.

In cases of severe pain, diagnosis should be established with endoscopic tests which include gastroscopy or barium swallow test.
If there are associated symptoms as i have mentioned then you should do ultrasound and check pancreatic markers. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor