What causes stabbing pain below the sternum?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I’m having severe stabbing pain intermittently in my epigastric area about 1-2 inches below my sternum. Could this be serious? It’s every 15-20 minutes.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
gastric issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
In this age, this type of pain is usually related to gastriti, GERD or hiatal hernia. Less common this can be sign of cholecystitis or pancreatitis especially if this is associated with nausea, vomit or fever. Otherwise, you should take antiacid medications such as ranitidine 150mg or pantoprasole 40mg. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food.

In cases of severe pain, diagnosis should be established with endoscopic tests which include gastroscopy or barium swallow test.
If there are associated symptoms as i have mentioned then you should do ultrasound and check pancreatic markers. Wish you good health. Regards