What causes spike in blood pressure?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: What would cause a spike in my wife's blood pressure that caused a hemorage in eye?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MOSTLY INADEQUATELY TREATED HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,
I have understood your concern and would like to answer the same.
Few important conditions can cause sudden surge/spike in the blood pressure in women of this age group.The most important among these are-

1.Inadequate control of her previously existing blood pressure,if any, by drugs, 2.Newly diagnosed accelerated form of blood pressure which is associated with target organ damage,for example- eye in your case.
3.Sudden elevations in blood pressure due to excess deposition of cholesterol in the blood vessels.
4.Gross blood/serum electrolyte disturbances,notably sodium.
5.Associated kidney disorder or newly diagnosed kidney dysfunction.
6.Coexistent or worsened cardiac disorder,notably involving the valvular apparatus.

All the above are quite a COMMON and prevalent causes that occur in the geriatric/elderly community.

This in your case is an accelerated form of hypertension which lead to pathological changes in her retinal circulation there by ultimately causing blood vessel rupture presenting as hypertensive hemorrhage.

These changes can be largely prevented by proper screening ,early diagnoses and treatment of high blood pressure.

I hope and wish that my feedback given is quite helpful and convincing to you.
Please feel free to ask me further queries in any case.
Thank you.
Wish you good health.
Dr.Suresh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj