What causes sore throat and swelling in the neck?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019 in Infections
Question: my 18 year old son has a bad sore sore particularly on his left side we took him yesterday for culture it came back negative, as well as the 24 hour culture. he was in pain all day today, now he is throat and neck on left side is swollen. he left ear inflamed asw ell
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Viral infection

Detailed Answer:

Negative culture excluded the possibility of bacterial infection and raises the possibility of viral infection including infectious mononucleosis or mumps.

So, I would recommend that you get a monospot test to exclude or confirm infectious mononucleosis and an antibody testing to exclude or confirm mumps.

In the meanwhile, you should get plenty of rest, avoid excretion, drink enough fluids, stick to soft easily swallowed food.

For the pain, you can take Ibuprofen tablets every eight hours.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana