What causes shortness of breath while taking a bath?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: For about the past year, when I take a shower I become extremely weak and short of breath, which extends for about 16 to 24 hours. What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Hot shower may dilate the blood vessels and may result in decreased blood pressure and that in turn can cause increased heart rate which demands more oxygen then and a faster respiratory rate in turn causes such shortness of breath episodes.

I would like you to get evaluated for autonomic neuropathies, dysautonomias and postural hypotension like postural orthostatic tachycardia .

Apart from it i would also like you to get pulmonary and cardiac functions assessed to rule out any heart issues and lung issues like COPD etc as with advancing age , both organs decline in their functions and may cause this.

Meanwhile, try to shower with tepid water and not warm water, use shower chair and avoid standing during the shower, bette is use a bucket and a mug instead of the shower for taking a bath. Talk to your doctor and let them sort it out for you.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan