What causes severe pain in the right upper back and the shoulder area?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Have been moving and doing lots of heavy lifting. Had pain in back upper right back/shoulder area. Thought was pinched nerve. Following day developed weakness in right arm on all up and down right side. Went to ER where they checked EKG and Stroke. Checked out okay and sent home with steroids and muscle relaxers. Followed up with personal doctor and he thought popped disk in upper spine. In process of scheduling MRI but have not heard anything yet. ER visit was 2 weeks ago Tuesday. Numbness and pain has subsided but not gone away. Have minor pain lower ride side (back and hip area) and feel little bit of knot in lower spine. Had one instance of blood in urine about a week ago.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be pressure on one of the nerves.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
The pain , you had in right upper back/ shoulder area could most probably be due to pressure on one of the nerves which has reduced with medications and passage of time. I think to confirm the diagnosis MRI is a must and try to schedule it ASAP.
In the meantime continue pain killers , Muscle relaxants and start doing muscle strengthening exercises ( For neck and upper back- physio is going to teach you the exercises).
Blood in urine could be related to stress but generally has no direct relation.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj