What causes severe dry mouth, swollen tongue and tingling sensation in lips?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm a 60 year-old male having severe dry mouth, swollen tongue symptoms. It's like feeling needles piercing my lips.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sicca syndrome vs. Sjogren's syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
You are at an age where we see sicca syndrome which is a condition where patients have age related changes in the salivary glands and tear ducts causing dry mouth and dry eyes.
It is also possible that you have developed Sjogren's syndrome which is an autoimmune condition that causes much the same symptoms.
There are other conditions that may also cause such symptoms.
Infection in the tongue or salivary glands is also possible since you are having pain.
I suggest that you see a doctor as soon as possible for an exam and some testing to determine the cause.
In the meantime you can use biotene oral rinse to relieve the dry mouth symptoms. Sucking on sugar free lozenges or ice cubes may also help.
I hope you get a diagnosis and treatment soon,
Dr. Robinson