What causes robotic sounds in ears after ear wax removal?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Sat, 7 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello. I have been experiencing sounds from my left ear that are very robotic, This applies to sounds like the voices from a radio, or my own voice, which I hear much more in my head. Came on suddenly one week ago. It has even impacted music in that ear, as the singer sounds off key when the sound comes through an ear phone. A tinny type sound comes through when I talk to people on the phone out of my left ear.
I have tried ear wax remove, sinus decongestant, and unplugging my left ear by holding my nose, but have had no luck.
There is no pain at all, but it is very uncomfortable, and the ambient noise from crowds of people like at the airport, leave me anxiety ridden.
Can a blocked middle ear or Eustachian tube be the cause ?? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further consultation with ENT specialist advised

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

What you are experiencing is very uncomfortable and from what you are reporting, it is altering your quality of life.

The sounds you hear on left ear might be due to post nasal drip and blocked Eustachian tube.

If all you did so far is not helping, I advise to consult further with ENT specialist to check for other problems.

Meanwhile, I recommend to :
- avoid using ear buds or earphones
- avoid coffee or alcohol
- antibiotics can also cause such noise

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I do have a visit scheduled with an ENT this week and hope to start to move toward resolving the issue.
I very much appreciate your input and your advice.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's great, finally you'll get a solution

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

I am happy to come to know that you are going to see an ENT specialist by this week. I am sure you'll resolve your ear problems.

Try to clearly explain to him/her all your problems. That will help to find out the cause and appropriate treatment.

Let me know how it goes!
If no more query, please do not forget to close this discussion.
Dr.Albana