What causes redness and burning sensation on the tongue?

Question
Hi, I’m having an issue with my tongue. It has been ongoing for 3 weeks. It first started as a slight burning sensation with red patches on my tongue, and the skin of the roof of my mouth was peeling, but no inflammation of the tongue. The burning sensation and redness got worse with sugary foods, which made me believe it was oral thrush. I went to see a doctor and he did not think it was thrush as this is apparently very rare and prone in people with HIV, which I don’t have. Also, I didn’t have a layer of yeast over my tongue. But I was prescribed a mouth wash to treat oral thrush anyway; it may have helped a bit, but did not cure me.

Now I’ve noticed the red patches subsiding, but there is a sore at the top of my tongue that is uncomfortable. There is a mix of numbness and burning sensation, but the sensation is relatively mild.

What else could this be? Coukd this be Syphilis or a sign of something serious?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No syphilis!

Detailed Answer:

This is no syphilis. I think you had oral sores that explained all your symptoms. Healing would be slow but eventually complete. My advice is to stay observant and there is no need for immediate medical intervention at this time.

Also, these symptoms have NOTHING to do with syphilis. If you have any fears related to syphilis, kindly share with me for review and guidance.

Follow-up: What causes redness and burning sensation on the tongue? 5 hours later
Thank you for your response. What would explain my symptoms? I have never had this issue before.

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most oral sore have no specific cause!

Detailed Answer:

There is not always a specific cause. The good news is that healing is often fast and complete with no long term consequences.

I wish you well