What causes red patches all over body post MMR vaccination?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son was given MMR vaccination on 28 July 2015. After 12 days, red patches with swelling appeared all over his body(They looked very much like ones caused by ant-bite). They slowly spread throughout the body but subsided in 2-3 hours. Son did not feel any discomfort, except for itching them once in a while. Next day morning, he was completely fine, with no trace of the rashes. Yesterday, the rashes have appeared again, to a lesser extent than before. They are not affecting him in any way. He has been eating the same food as usual, we have not given him anything new which might have led to this.
Please let us know what could be the reason and how we resolve this.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be an allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXX
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. The rashes as in your child are not related to his MMR vaccination. They seem to be due to allergic reaction occurring in response to some allergens in his environment such as insects, pollens, aeroallergen, New soaps or cosmetics, medicines etc.

Don't worry. You may take the following measures in future episodes to help him out:
1. Apply lactocalamine or Prucal lotion over the lesions to relieve itching and early healing.
2. These reactions occur due to release of histamines in body in response to allergens. So you may give antihistamine such as Syp Benadryl or Maxtra for relief if rashes are all over body.
3. Try to find out allergen responsible and avoid it in future.

Approach hospital in case he has signs of severe allergic reaction such as breathing problems or severe skin rashes not responding to above management. It may require steroids and adrenaline in that case.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.