What causes red eyes?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: At the moment I have a blood red eye, whilst I know this is usually nothing to be concerned about, I was wondering if it could have any connection to the blood blisters I get in my mouth. These blister are the result of trauma, even the slightest scrape will result in one. I'm sure this hasn't always been the case.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Red eye is not related to blisters in mouth.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having red eye. This may not be related with the blisters in mouth which occur as a result of trauma.
The cause for red eye depends on the associated symptoms.
If you have pain and decrease in vision it indicates inflammation of the eye like uveitis.

If you have irritation of the eye with discharge it indicates conjunctivitis.

If you have do not have any symptoms, only red blood eye resembling blood it indicates collection of blood under the conjunctiva called as subconjunctival hemorrhage.

If possible do send a photo of the affected eye so that I confirm the diagnosis for you and advice you accordingly.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Thank you. I realise that these conditions aren't related, I was just concerned that they both were blood related. I will attempt to send you a photo of my eye. But I'm pretty sure it's a "sub conjunctival haemorrhage ".
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No treatment is required for it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Subconjunctival hemorrhage is because of accumulation of blood under the conjunctiva. It is a self limiting condition and it will resolve by 1-2 weeks. No treatment is generally required as it will resolve by itself.

I did not receive the picture. You may try again. Alternatively you can mail the picture to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Dadapeer"

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad