What causes red blotches on the breast area and under the arm?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: After swimming in cold salt water chlorinated pool......I get a red blotch with a small hole from either a bite or sting. It is only in breast area and under one arm. The worst is the itch. Constant severe itching. Benadryl ointment relieves for a small amount of time but it comes right back. I swim in this pool every morning and it first appeared after a swim.
What can I do to eliminate these blotches but foremost stop the itch? What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be Swimming Pool Rash or Chlorine Rash.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
As per your description it seems like something called Swimming Pool Rash or Chlorine Rash.
The swimming pool rash may refer to the skin being exposed to excessive amounts of chlorine, which is a skin irritant. Chlorine is a necessary component in swimming pools and hot tubs in order to kill bacteria that can lead to skin and health problems. If the strength of the chlorine in the water is too strong or if repetitive exposure to chlorinated water occurs, a chlorine rash or chlorine itch may develop. This is a form of chemical dermatitis.
The best treatment option is to avoid exposure to chlorine. Taking showers before and after periods in a swimming pool . You can also apply over the counter low potency steroid ointments also. If symptoms persist consult a dermatologist and get evaluated.
Wishing you good health
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D