What causes recurrent swelling in the knee?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have is what I believe is called water on the knee,I have aspirated it four times myself. I have little or no pain and every time I aspirated it the swelling come right back within fourty eight hours,I've never had any problems with my knees and can't remember any injury
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI and clinical evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/66 - aspirated water on knee 4 times - refills within 48 hours - no problems with knee - can not remember any injury - takes Aleve...

The history you have provided indicates this to be a cyst connected to the knee joint or a synovial cyst. It is because of no known history of injury and no symptoms that you have, proper diagnosis is delayed.
I would advise you the following:
Get an opinion of an Orthopedic Surgeon for clinical evaluation.
MRI of the knee when the cyst is fully filled.
Stop aspirating it for the reasons of avoiding an infection which may occur inadvertently when you are aspirating as such an infection can be potentially dangerous to the knee joint and secondly, it is refilled within 48 hours as per the history you have provided.
MRI and clinical evaluation can give the exact diagnosis and a plan for perfect and curative treatment.

I hope this answer helps you in decision making, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.