What causes recurrent pain and swelling in a limb?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have e reoccurring problem with my right foot. Pain and swelling have started in last day or two. Happened twice before about five or six months apart. Can hardly walk at times
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be a form of arthritis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common cause for recurrent pain/swelling in a limb is a type of arthritis or repeated trauma from a physical activity.

If there are no activities or actions you can think of that may be precipitating the pain, then it may be due to one of the forms of arthritis.

There are different types of arthritis , some of the more common are --(1) gouty arthritis
(2)osteoarthritis
(3)rheumatoid arthritis
(4)SLE and other autoimmune arthritis

There are more.

To find out if you have a type of arthritis ,you would need blood tests and imaging ( x ray). The blood tests would include complete blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation in the body), uric acid level (checks for gout).

Further tests would be done depending on these results.

In addition to the foot supports, you can try using anti inflammatory pain killers if you can use these eg naproxen or ibuprofen or cataflam or voltaren.

If the over the counter meds are not enough then you may need a prescription for stronger meds.

Rest and a warm compress over the affected area may also help along with elevation to reduce the swelling.
A compression bandage would also reduce swelling

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions