What causes recurrent pain and swelling in a limb?
may be a form of arthritis
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The most common cause for recurrent pain/swelling in a limb is a type of arthritis or repeated trauma from a physical activity.
If there are no activities or actions you can think of that may be precipitating the pain, then it may be due to one of the forms of arthritis.
There are different types of arthritis , some of the more common are --(1) gouty arthritis
(4)SLE and other autoimmune arthritis
There are more.
To find out if you have a type of arthritis ,you would need blood tests and imaging ( x ray). The blood tests would include complete blood count, ESR (checks for inflammation in the body), uric acid level (checks for gout).
Further tests would be done depending on these results.
In addition to the foot supports, you can try using anti inflammatory pain killers if you can use these eg naproxen or ibuprofen or cataflam or voltaren.
If the over the counter meds are not enough then you may need a prescription for stronger meds.
Rest and a warm compress over the affected area may also help along with elevation to reduce the swelling.
A compression bandage would also reduce swelling
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Recurrent chest pain causes
- What causes recurrent painful cracks on foreskin
- What causes pain and swelling on feet
- What causes pain and swelling in legs
- What causes swelling and pain in the clitoris
- What causes swelling and pain on the perineum
- Pain in the genitals with swelling what is causing this
- What are the causes for pain and swelling in toes
- What causes swelling and pain in the testicles
- What causes recurrent abdominal pain with vomiting and acidity
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?