What causes raised skin lesion on thigh?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have this slightly raised light color skin lesion that's smooth on my thigh. It appears to have two hairs out the side of it next to each other. Its mid thigh and on the front side of it. Not on my inner or outer part of my thigh. Just wondering what it might be.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pigmentation disorder, harmless in nature

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures .
You seem to be having a pigmentation disease called idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis.

Now this is basically a harmless skin condition. It can lead to development of few hypopigmented skin patches. It is essentially a cosmetic problem.
Nothing much needs to be done, other than the development of skin moisturizers .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes raised skin lesion on thigh? 3 minutes later
Can a idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis be raised? That's my only concern. It is slightly raised and appears lighter then my skin around it.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Skin hypopigmentation, should settle soon

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The first possibility that I mentioned seems to be that of idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis . Especially in early stages, the lesion might appear skin colored and slightly raised.
A direct examination of skin with a magnifying lens is very essential for confirmation of the diagnosis.
But the second closest possibility is that of perifollicular eczema.
Both of these skin conditions might settle to much extent on application of good moisturizers . Application of a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day would help in even early resolution of the problem.
I am sure that if you follow the above regimen, the skin lesions will settle soon.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes raised skin lesion on thigh? 6 minutes later
I am headed to my Dermatologist later this month but the stress of not knowing what it is, is killing me. It's been there for some time now. Over 6 months.

Does it not appear to be wart? That's my main concern. By some chance, if it is a wart. Would this be considered a common wart or genital wart given its location on my leg?

It's slightly raised and smooth. Not really an odd shape either.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of wart very less

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I really don't think it looks like a wart.
Although the lesions are not very apparent in the picture and I would definitely suggest a direct examination by dermatologist , but still from what I can make out, the lesions do not look like warts.
Such type of skin colored raised and irregular skin lesions especially over the thigh region can lead us to possibilities like igh,eczema or even stucco keratosis. But all of these are essentially harmless skin conditions and I do not think you should be really worried.
Warts in this region tend to grow up fast and become raised and highly verrucous in nature and have a different appearance too.
So although the possibility is quite less, still you should surely go ahead and get a direct examination done by a dermatologist .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes raised skin lesion on thigh? 5 minutes later
If this is a wart, would it be considered a genital wart given its location?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Genital warts, can occur around genitals also

Detailed Answer:
Yes, one can have the sexually transmitted genital warts on any areas around the genitals , including the thigh region.
But there is definitely a difference between normal skin warts and the sexually transmitted ones which can be made out on a closer look.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes raised skin lesion on thigh? 4 minutes later
But you wouldn't consider this to be a sexually transmitted wart if it was a wart? I saw my urologist on 6/4/14 and no warts/hpv was detected in my genital region or inner thighs. This lesion is more on the top of my thigh. I have a picture attached showing the general area that its located on my thigh.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of veneral warts very less

Detailed Answer:
The sexually transmitted warts can occur over the genitals or they can also occur in areas around the genitals which include lower abdomen as well as the thigh areas, especially the inner thigh. But since in your case the lesions are on the front area, the possibility of it being a sexually transmitted lesion is very less.
But again, as I told you earlier, I do not suspect it to be a warty lesion, owing to its appearance.
In either case, since you got yourself checked too and there were no genital lesions, so I would advise you to relax and not be very worried. Any warts over the legs can be easily treated since there are lots of treatment options available .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes raised skin lesion on thigh? 11 minutes later
I'm gonna go with it not being a wart as you stated and try and relax but as you can see the genital wart was my main concern. Given the location of in on my thigh I thought the lesion to be too high for it to be considered a genital wart since those usually occur on the inner thigh like you stated and clearly the lesion isn't on the inner thigh but more towards the top or front side of my thigh.

Brief Answer:
Do not worry, see your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Yes, even I would suggest that you should see your doctor and not worry about the lesions.
Since on first look, I do not think these are warts.

Dr Geetika XXXXXXX