What causes purple colored bumps on the urethra?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I have two bumps in my penis uretha on the side. They look like veins when I have taken a picture. It does not affect urine flow just wandering what they could be. Thx
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be small sub-mucus abscesses .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query and uploading photographs .

Small purple colored bumps seen on the side of urethra are mostly sub mucus abscesses developing from Staphylococcal infection of a sub mucus gland located in glans penis .

You need to take broad spectrum antibiotic like Doxicycline along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily.

They should get cured within a week .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hi Dr, the bumps have no infection but look more like veins when photographed. When looking at them in natural light they look like skin bumps. Are you sure about astaph infection. They have been there for at least 6 months. In the morning they are not so pronounced, it seems they get bigger if i irritate them or have sex. Thx

Brief Answer:
They are likely to be dilated sub mucous veins in urethra

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for uploading more and clear photograph which reveals dilated sub mucus veins in urethra which are seen in many individuals and carry no risk at all ..

There is nothing to be worried about it They are bound to get engorged during erection due to occlusion of veins.

You do not need any active treatment However you need to take care not to get injured during sexual activities .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Hi Dr I was concerned that they may be signs of internal warts. Once again thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are definitely not warts.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

These bumps are definitely not warts ,

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.