Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes puffy nipples?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 17777 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Lump
Question: Hello, I believe I have pseudo-gynecomastia. I'm a 19 year old male and I've had puffy nipples for as long as I can remember and they really lower my self-esteem. I've gotten negative comments about my nipples in the past and really hate my body. My breasts themselves (from what can be seen) seem to be fine. However, the nipples are very puffy and unsightly. The aurolea area is normal sized in diameter, but the nipples themselves stick out way too much, like round domes instead of like a normal male nipple. The only time they look normal is when they are cold or when they are in water. Otherwise, they look absolutely terrible. I've had these for as long as I can remember, even before puberty, I believe. I was born premature as an identical twin with a 1% chance of survival so I think it may be a genetic deformity. I hope it is curable and am dire for an answer for treatment routes! Please help me!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
wait and watch at the moment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query an an elucidate history.

To recapitulate::: Born premature- now you are 19- puffy nipples since you remember- but look normal when they are cold or on water- lower self esteem, negative comments and you hate your body- breasts seem to be fine-

You have a brother or a sister as twin?

I would advise you to do a self examination by pinching to see is there is breast nodule. If gynecomastia is there , only answer is surgery and the Surgeon will be happy to correct this deformity you are talking about.

It is better to go for an ultrasonography and color doppler examination to see what exactly is inside. We have to rule out vascular pathology. If present you can have sclerotherapy.

But I think frankly , you do not need treatment at the moment. It is just an accentuation of the normal appearance and feeling low-esteem is common at your age. Come out of this. You only can think about it.

Get the investigations done and be back to me.
Till then just relax. Eat and exercise well , get engaged into constructive activities.
NO active treatment at the moment is needed.
If you are too conscious, a small surgery to reshape the area can be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
What would be the average surgery cost or average cost for treatment if it were...

-Vascular pathology
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will have to confirm with local facilities

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry friend, this is outside the ambit of this.
You will have to confirm with the Hospitals or Surgeons in your area.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Genetic deformity

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor , this is rahini kumar and iam 41 yrs old and iam 72 kg. Iam under treatment for pregnancy .I have both tube blocks, thyroid.I have been...