What causes pressure and pain in the ears after a turbinate surgery?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, 5 months ago I had turbinate bones completely removed from my nose , my ears were blocking , full of pressure and pain , so this nose operation was meant to up open the ear tubes by scarring. So after all this time my ears are no better in fact there are the worst ever and keep getting worse each day. I thought by now there would have been some improvement. It's affecting my life I can't drive or be passenger in car as the pressure is unbearable in my ears , I haven't left the house for months and my doc just keeps saying it will get better eventually. It's not normal to feel this bad 5 months on after the operation, what could be wrong ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post turbinectomy and eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are probably having eustachian tube blockage caused by nasal congestion.
Nasal congestion can be due to enlarged turbinate or some nasal septal deviation. Please send me the details of the surgery done.
Use a fluticasone nasal spray twice daily for a week. Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will help to decongest the tube and relieve symptoms.
Get an Impedance audiometry done and send me the report. This will help to diagnose the middle ear disease more precisely.
If the symptoms doesn't resolve on medicines than grommet insertion may be done.
The management will depend on the reports.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Follow up with the required information

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 18 hours later
Was at my ENT app today, had camera up nose was all clear , had ear pressure test to check the ear tubes was normal also a hearing test was normal to . So why is there still all this pressure in ears ? Also I get dizzy spells that only last a few seconds since the nose and ear problem started , is that to do with the pressure in the ears or is it a separate thing ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Middle ear disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
All the symptoms are due to eustachian tube dysfunction and subsequent inner ear involvement.
My advise is you should get an impedance audiometry done and a HRCT temporal bone done for a proper diagnosis.
The pressure in the ears can be due to many reasons other than eustachian tube blockage like any mass or growth in middle ear or any labyrinthine involvement or a persistent nasal disease.
My advise is you should get yourself examined by an Ent specialist.
I hope my advise proves helpful to you.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana