What causes pink mucus in the throat while coughing?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have pink mucus. It only appeared in the last 24 hours. Cough it up twice
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
coughing up blood can be serious

Detailed Answer:
While coughing up blood can be serious (we assume that pink mucous has some blood in it) it may also just be from irritated bronchial tubes if you have bronchitis. If you have high fevers, night sweats or shortness of breath with this you need to see a doctor immediately.
If you just have a cold and some pink sputum with none of the more serious symptoms then it is probably just a viral bronchits and will resolve on its own in a week or so.
However, if you have fever or shortness of breath at all, be seen by a doctor today.
Dr. Robinson