What causes persistent cough along with inconsistent bowel movements?
post nasal drip most common cause
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The most common causes for persistent/chronic cough are--(1) post nasal drip of mucus now called upper airway cough syndrome
(2)GERD- reflux of acid
(4)non asthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis- eosinophils are a type of white blood cell found in the body, high levels in persons with allergies. IN this conditions, high levels are found in part of the airways
Out of these post nasal drip/upper airway cough syndrome is the most common cause.
The need to blow your nose is another symptom that can go along with post nasal drip.
Treatment- Use of a decongestant/ anti histamine combination even if your nose is not congested.
Unfortunately in some persons this can take 1 to 2 weeks to take effect, in others it is faster.
Using a topical nasal spray along with this can also help eg nasonex, nasocort, flonase, rhinocort etc
If the combination of these two meds is not enough the additional medication such as montelukast or ketotifen, may be needed.
i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Palpitations cause persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and cold
- What causes persistent cough after an upper respiratory tract infection
- What is the cure for persistent cough
- What causes persistent cough and occasional dizziness
- What causes persistant coughing and choking
- What is the cause for persistent cough in child
- Can alcohol consumption cause persistent cough
- Persistant cough causes
- What causes persistent cough in a 14 months old