What causes paraneoplastic syndromes?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: is paraneoplastic syndrome only caused by Cancer in the body or can you have the syndrome without having cancer?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sign of cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well,the definition of paraneoplastic syndrome is that it is caused by tumor,usually malignant. It is caused by antibodies which are seen in people with cancer. However,paraneoplastic syndrome sometimes include very nonspecific symptoms so it is not easy to establish the diagnosis of it. in every case,if there is even suspicion of the syndrome, extensive work up for cancer identification should be done.

If you describe the symptoms that you are experiencing I will be better able to help.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj