• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe itching on the body

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My daughter (19 years old) has developed a condition where she is experiencing extreme itching to the point where she is in tears and scratching herself bloody. She has been fighting a lot of sinus/flu/respiratory illnesses last November and has been on a constant dose of antibiotics as a result. Itchiness started in april and has progressively gotten worse. NOTHING works - allegra, zurtek, benadril (tried both over the counter and prescription strengths). Only thing that is making the situation 'manageable' is steroids. She has hive like bumps primarily on her torso but they are spreading to her arms, legs, and neck. Dermatologist says bugs or reaction to drugs is the culprit. Went to allergist and we've ruled out bugs and she hasn't been on any drugs except for antihistamines to help for the itch. She had her tonsils and adenoids removed 3 weeks ago. Complications caused fluid build up in her ear - so last week tubes were inserted in her ear drum. She has also recently developed hand tumors which i think are a clue. Really need help. At a loss and fear for both her emotional and physical well being. Need some expert to consult but not sure where to turn .
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do the following tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HealthcareMagic.

I am very sorry for the situation of your daughter.
I have gone carefully through the history you provide.

In my opinion and based in my clinical experience in the base of all this history is hand cancer.

If she were my patient i would recommend her to see an oncologist for further follow up.

Probably for the severe itching that i think it is a sign of tumor the oncologist will start her anti tumoral medications (if needed according to the biopsy result)

If not than immune suppressors drugs are recommended in this case but it the dermatologist to decide about it based in her clinical picture.
I also would recommend her some tests to rule out autoimmune disorders too like:
ANA XXXXXXX p and c
Anti DNA

If they are positive than it is the rheumatologist in cooperation with the oncologist that will adviceyou further.

I wish a fast recovery for your daughter

Good luck and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 13 hours later
Thank you for your response. I understand the auto immune possibilities but I have never heard of severe itching over your entire body caused by cancer, specifically hand cancer that you suggest. Can you please elaborate on how you came to this conclusion and how the itchiness can be linked.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some possibilities

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It is a condition called paraneoplastic syndrome and itching is one of its components among a large number of symptoms. These are not related directly to cancer itself but instead with the response of the immune system against toxics substances which cause a cascade of reactions

But it might happen that we have already an autoimmune disorder too despite cancer.

Or probably a common alergic reaction which may need some times to be controlled despite using steroids.

I hope this will be helpful for you

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist