What causes pain under the right rib cage?

Question
I am a 78 year old male with a dull pain in my right side, slightly to the back and about the bottom of my rib cage. It is not a muscle sprain but is inside the ribs.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound examination needed for further evaluation

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. Please let me know the following details for a better understanding of your condition:

For how long have you had this pain?
Does it come and go or is it constant?
Is it related to eating? Is it related to consumption of any particular food?
Do you have any other symptoms?
Do you have any medical condition or take any medication?

The dull pain you are experiencing under the rib cage, on the right side is rather difficult to identify based on just this as it could be coming from the right kidney (most probably a kidney stone), the liver (most probably an enlarged liver), the gallbladder or the right side of the large intestine.

Kindly answer the above questions so I may be able to give you a more detailed and specific answer.

Awaiting..

Regards.