Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What causes pain under the right rib cage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 567 Questions
I am a 78 year old male with a dull pain in my right side, slightly to the back and about the bottom of my rib cage. It is not a muscle sprain but is inside the ribs.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound examination needed for further evaluation

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. Please let me know the following details for a better understanding of your condition:

For how long have you had this pain?
Does it come and go or is it constant?
Is it related to eating? Is it related to consumption of any particular food?
Do you have any other symptoms?
Do you have any medical condition or take any medication?

The dull pain you are experiencing under the rib cage, on the right side is rather difficult to identify based on just this as it could be coming from the right kidney (most probably a kidney stone), the liver (most probably an enlarged liver), the gallbladder or the right side of the large intestine.

Kindly answer the above questions so I may be able to give you a more detailed and specific answer.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor