What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal?

Question
I have tried several times trying to use tampons and have no luck. These were the problems that occurred and wonder if you can help me. When I inserted the tampon I felt it while it was in me and it hurt. Also when I used the bathroom to pee it was all wet. And the tampon wasn't that dirty when I took it out but for some reason I had light spotting on my pad. Now that I removed the tampon I have been in pain. Is there anyway you can tell me why this is happening. I felt like I pushed the tampon as deep as it goes. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May need to alter the size of the tampon.

Detailed Answer:

From the description you have given, it looks like you have used a tampon of larger size. Always start with the smallest size tampon when you are using it for the first time and gradually increase as you get used to it. As vaginal spasm can cause pain, you need to relax while insertion and especially, during removal.

Please go through the following links on how to use a tampon and what care should be taken while using it and how to remove.

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/tampon.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Tampon

Please maintain proper genital hygiene and do not leave a tampon inside for longer time. Please see a specialist in person for a clinical exam, if you continue to have the difficulty.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further queries. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your help. The size I used was regular. Why did it hurt once it was in me? And why was there slight blood on my pad while the tampon itself didn't have that much on it. And when I used the bathroom it got wet. It's been several hours since I took it out and I am still in pain. I was born with an ambiguous genitalia where I had a urogenital sinus and I had vaginoplasty surgery. Would this cause me not to be able to use a tampon? Though my doctor told me everything is normal and I should be able to use tampons.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please rule out a narrowed vagina.

Detailed Answer:

It is likely that a narrowed vagina and dryness of the vaginal wall may have caused the spotting due to trauma caused by the insertion of the tampon. Also, blood in urine should be ruled out.

The fact that the tampon, once properly placed in the vagina, got wet while passing urine, points to the possible leakage of urine into the vagina. Please consult a urogynecologist for a proper appraisal of the situation and stop using the tampons meanwhile. Use a pad to observe the discharge.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 17 minutes later
I am not sure myself if the tampon was inserted correctly being that I had pain while it was in and felt it in me. I shouldn't be worried that I still have pain from removing it several hours ago? Thanks again for your help.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to some trauma internally.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

The cause of the pain could possibly be some trauma as you have also noticed some spotting after removing the tampon. Another possibility is that pain is perceived for some time if forcible dilatation of the vagina was done while inserting or removal.

Please see your consultant if the pain persists.

Hope all your queries have been answered. Please contact if you need any more suggestions. I will be available to help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 6 hours later
Thanks for your help. The pain is better is better than it was. What can cause urine leakage in to the vagina? And do all females that have a urogenital sinus have a narrow vagina?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most, i.e. 60 percent of the females .

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is good to hear that the pain has lessened. Urine leakage into the vagina can occur when the vagina is short, when there is a sinus or fistula into the vagina. A sonogram and voiding tests help to identify the cause.

Sixty percent have a narrow vagina with a urogenital sinus along with other related defects.

Hope I have answered your query. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be glad to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 6 minutes later
What causes a fistula? Can it be from my urogenital sinus surgery that I had at the age of 12? And now I'm 28. Or this just could have occurred? Girls who have urogenital sinus have a narrow vagina? Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Narrow vagina is a developmental anomaly here.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Fistula is a broader term. There are several types each with several causes. If you mean a urogenital fistula, in your case, it is called a urogenital sinus, and is a congenital or formative defect.

Please mention if a fistula has been diagnosed of late. Narrow vagina can occur due to several causes and when there are ambiguous genitalia with a urogenital sinus, it is a common finding and this again, is due to defect in development. As mentioned, sixty percent have it.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 24 hours later
Being that I have a narrow vagina will I have a problem when having sex?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

Narrow vagina, in your case, does not seem to be a big problem since you were able to insert a regular size tampon. Also, during an intercourse, the vaginal muscles relax sufficiently to widen the lumen so that there is no hindrance to the act and this is aided by the lubrication provided by the local glands.

Hope I have answered your query. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: What causes pain inside vagina after tampon removal? 23 minutes later
Thanks for answering my questions and for your time. Much appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome, any time.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your feed back. You are welcome any time.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.