What causes pain in the upper abdomen after an appendectomy?

Question
I had my appendix out 8 weeks ago. The post-op pain was pretty much all gone but now I'm having pain in my upper abdomen right in the center, midway between just below the sternum and above the navel. It hurts to press down in that area. When I press on the four quadrants I feel pain in just that area. I'm an EMT so I know a little about anatomy. Does this sound like gall bladder, or could it be related to the appendectomy. My appendix perforated and I was on IV antibiotics for three days as well as an abdominal drain for 6 days. I am 62 years of age and in good health.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux and not due to gall bladder problems. Stress due to the surgery could have precipitated it. The gastric irritation from pain killers that you might have taken as well as the antibiotics could also have played a contributory role.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.