What causes pain in the tailbone while sitting?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I am having pain with tailbone whenever I sit for sometime pain persists and it gets reduced after some time if I get up
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, your symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia (pain in the region of tail bone).

90% of patients get better with conservative measures, such as improving the sitting posture, use of specially designed cushions to avoid pressure on the tail bone, use of analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets.

In the remaining 10%, other measures such as local injections (steroid or anaesthetic agent), nerve block, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, etc may be needed.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What causes pain in the tailbone while sitting? 28 minutes later
Hello doc,

Thanks for your answer
As I already using cushion, I will continue using it and let me know should I use it also please advise any specific medication along with this like tablets or any other oral medicines to hasten the process

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please continue using the cushion.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Please continue using the cushion.

In addition, you can use tablets such as ibuprofen or diclofenac, for pain relief, as and when necessary.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist