What causes pain in the right groin radiating to the foot in an elderly person?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on 4 days ago in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am a 52 year old female. Last night I wet the bed and then I had terrible pain in my right groin that went all the way down to my foot
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs ultrasound pelvis and KUB and urinalysis.

Detailed Answer:

We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.Based on the history you have shared, it needs to be evaluated on a baseline urinalysis to rule out any signs of urinary tract infection or any source of infection in the genitourinary tract within the pelvis.

Some times ureteric colic may travel down the legs as well. Other possibilities like psoriasis abscess or local muscular or subcutaneous infections seems less likely at this moment.

An ultrasound pelvis and KUB should be done to rule out almost majority of these conditions. A detailed urologist and gynecologist review may be needed if the symptoms persisted.

Meanwhile OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can help with the pain along with muscle relaxants like Orphenidine or Tizindine, as well as antispasmodic like Drotavarine may also be needed alongside. If fever or any other signs of infections are noted, may need antibiotics as well.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D