What causes pain in the neck when diagnosed with goiter?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Friend, female, 42 years old, has been diagnosed with goiter / thyroid problem, and will undergo surgery next week. Just now, at work, she is reporting pain in her neck. Does this call for an emergency room visit?

Thank you, XXXXXXX Ward
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhage of any nodule suspected

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

If the pain is sharp and acute it is suggestive probably of an internal hemorrhage of any of the nodules. It usually begins with a strong cough or sneeze and is self-limiting. Paracetamol or Ibuprofen can be used for the pain.

Of course, to confirm the diagnosis, an ultrasound is helpful but is not an emergency.

This is a supposition suggested by your short description.
So, she can take a Paracetamol and if not relieved, please see a physician without any further delay.

Hope the information will help.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee