What causes pain in the head while experiencing anxiety?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I do have anxiety and panic attacks (have not taken medicine for those in about 10 years) I jst try to "wait it out"
but anyway yesterday I started feeling a pain in the left back side of my head (not to far from ear) it comes and goes, of course I go to start looking up symptoms of brain aneurysm and that has really freaked me out. And just a little bit ago my right arm starts hurting just above the bend in your arm and I am having some mild tingling in my fingers on right hand. I always assume the worse but could this "tied together" possible stroke symptoms or aneurysm? the feeling in my head does not hurt badly. just annoying and weird. It may be also worth mentioning I work on a computer 9/10 hrs a day, not sure if that could contribute to the tingling? What do you think?
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aneurysm or stroke can be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

First of all you have work that needs you to remain on computer for long hours. You have history of anxiety and panic which are controlled without medicines.

If we consider the differential diagnosis of the symptoms you have first thing that kept is tension type headache with anxiety. This could cause similar symptoms.

If we consider aneurysm then aneurysms are asymptomatic most of the times and then sometimes they cause sudden headache followed by weakness of extremities. The headache is severe in such conditions and unbearable. Confusion, loss of consciousness are seen commonly.

Almost similar symptoms are seen in stroke with weakness and loss of consciousness. So we can easily rule out these even on the basis of clinical symptoms. So please don't get stressed and visit a doctor. Take proper treatment for headache and anxiety and you will be alright.

Thanks and take care