What causes pain in shin bones while running?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, i have been suffering from pain in the shin bones while running. i have tried different shoes but the pain still persists, when i take enzoflam i get a pain relief for 2 days & again the pain relapses.

I am looking for a permanent cure for my pain without disturbing my work out schedule.. Shall i continue taking enzoflam every alternate day or is there any other solution to this problem.

I used to run on a concrete surface but i have joined a gym recently & have been running in treadmill since then but there is no effect on the pain & it continues to haunt me..
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress fracture may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting
After going through your query, the cause of your suffering is because of excessive physical exercises as it all started after running, is it so?
This leads to stress fracture in leg bone (Tibia) and if you are deficient with vitamin D may lead to weakness of bone (osteomalacia).
You might have increased the physical exercise for which your body was not prepared and may not be supported by proper diet?
I have seen many patient’s like you and others preparing for police and Para military forces.
To confirm this, you may get blood investigation for serum vitamin D, calcium; phosphorus and alkaline phosphotase.Please share the finding in the follow up query.
For now my advice would be take a break from walking for few days (15-21). Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.Meanwhile you may continue to take enzoflam to reduce pain and do ice fomentation.

Hope this information suffices. I shall be glad to answer any further query.